Mon 05 Feb 2018 12:24

Sat 3 Feb 2018, 14:15

Burntwood Rugby Club Limited
Edwardian FC
Burntwood stretched their lead at the top of the table with a six try bonus point win at home to Edwardians.
In what could have been a tricky outing for the hosts, they had the try bonus point before half time to lead 28-0. The second period was more of a slog as the pitch conditions deteriorated but they still outscored their opponents by two tries to one to complete the double over them this season.
A good start by Sean Latham’s side was almost rewarded with a try by Graham Shelley after just three minutes but it was ruled out when the pass to him was adjudged forward.
Eds cleared upfield but Billy Fisher countered to earn a penalty for his side. The ball was kicked out for a line out which was safely gathered to launch a series of close range drives which were finished off by Alan Mapp who broke a tackle to run in behind the posts for a try converted by Aza Dunet after seven minutes.
Burntwood continued to dominate with good work from Rory Newall, Neil Holden, Pat Bayliss and skipper Latham all testing the visitors’ defence with strong runs. Eventually they gained reward in the 23rd minute.
From a scrum, the backs saw possession before a pass back inside led to Ross Bedworth going close to the line and then Latham being there to touch down for a try converted by Newall.
The loss of Nick Peplow and Shelley due to injury didn’t halt Burntwood’s momentum and they went further ahead on 32 minutes. Bedworth featured in the build up again prior to Josh Canning taking the ball at pace to cross for the third try midway out. Newall added a fine conversion for 21-0.
The lively Bedworth was also involved in the build up to the fourth try close to half time. He made progress down the left and from quick ruck ball Ben Holt found Newall with a long pass right. He fed Lloyd Dunet who cut in off his wing to race 40 metres to the posts for the bonus point try converted by Newall.
Eds had time for their first venture into home territory but the hosts defended well on their 22 line to keep the scoreline 28-0.
The visitors had the better of the opening exchanges in the second half and got off the mark with a penalty try eight minutes in when Burntwood conceded one too many penalties at a series of close range scrummages.
The hosts responded well to take play into the opposition half but their next try came from a piece of opportunism by Holt on the hour mark. He intercepted an Eds’ pass near halfway to race clean away to the try line for a score converted by Dunet.
Ten minutes later Burntwood were almost in again following a line out steal by Canning and a charge by the impressive Sean Brennan but Eds were able to clear under pressure.
With two minutes left Eds were close to a consolation score but having mauled their way over the line the ball was held up. Latham led the break out from the ensuing scrum and Holt put his side in good position with a kick to touch ten metres off the visitor’s try line.
It led to a scrum from which Canning and Latham drove for the line to pull in defenders so that when the ball was moved wide there was an overlap for Holt to feed Newall who scored to put the icing on the cake.
Burntwood 2nds made the trip to face Leek 2nds. A close contest was finally decided by a late try to the hosts who finished winners by 26-19.
This Saturday Burntwood have a re-arranged league game away at Trentham whilst the 2nds are TBA.